Students sometimes come to the office for help with minor ailments. The school tries to avoid giving medication to a child but, since they turn to us when they are uncomfortable, we try to help them as follows:
- We give them acetaminophen for pain or a slight fever. Aside from that, we call the parents.
- Many parents approve and request homeopathy for their children.
- The school will not give medication to a child without a signed permission. A form must be filled out by the parents indicating what medicine listed above each child can take.
- If a student has a chronic illness (e.g asthma) or symptom (e.g nose bleeding) or is somewhat ill (e.g has a runny nose), parents should send whatever prescription medicine they might need and indicate the dose that school personnel should administer.
- If a health emergency happens on school grounds, Blue Valley has a contract with “Emergencias Médicas”, a company that provides service for health emergencies. A doctor, paramedic or ambulance promptly answers our call.
- Should the student need further care, the ambulance takes the student to the Hospital Cima with a member of our staff in the ambulance. Parents are contacted immediately.